Large FTP uploads stop at 100%

Upload core product.
import

Large FTP uploads stop at 100%

Post by import »

I seem to be experiencing a problem that's similar to something reported in a couple of other recent threads...

Doing an FTP upload, small files work absolutely fine. No problem at all. Large files - over 10MB - seem to upload as normal, but then stop at 100% with a "completing upload" message every time. If I look at the folder via an FTP client, the file has been uploaded correctly...but the applet doesn't ever update itself to reflect that. It still seems to be doing something, judging by the fact that the source file on my hard disk is locked and can't be renamed.

As I'm in the early stages of development, I'm not using any forward or post parameters. Indeed, the problem still occurs if I upload two files at once: the first one reaches 100% and then everything stops, and the applet never uploads the second file.

Any ideas? Thanks very much.

import

Re: Large FTP uploads stop at 100%

Post by import »

Try to enable FTP requests/responses traces. That's way we could know if it's a FTP issue or not. To do so enable "resources" parameter with i18n.properties file (which is available in documentation/img folder):
<PARAM NAME="resources" VALUE="i18n">

And uncomment the following lines in i18n.properties:
taskoutput.protocol=enabled
taskoutput.protocol.request=> {0}
taskoutput.protocol.response=< {0}

import

Post by import »

Thanks. I've done that, but I'm not sure that it sheds much light. Here's what I get...

Uploading : bracken.txt
(11,431,385 bytes)
Upload started ...> TYPE I
< 200 Type set to I.
> NLST bracken.txt
< 550 bracken.txt: The system cannot find the file specified.
> STOR bracken.txt

...and that's it. If I upload a smaller file, I get a very similar output, but with this on the end:

226 Transfer complete.
Upload completed
--------------------------------------------------
> DISCONNECT

I'll keep experimenting to see if I can find the cause. It seems as if it might be related to some kind of setting on the server, as uploading a large file to a different server works fine. I'm not sure what that setting might be, though!

Thanks for your help.

import

Post by import »

Having experimented further, it seems that this was a problem with PASV mode transfers. For some reason, it didn't work with large files...but, as soon as I turned PASV mode off, the large files uploaded perfectly.

So, problem solved. Thanks again for your help.

import

Post by import »

Great !
Which FTP server are you using ?

import

Post by import »

I have experienced similar problem for quite some time. It mostly seems to affect our users that are uploading large files from overseas where the band width causes slow transfers.

It seems as though the coomuncation channel times out and that the applet never receives notification that the upload completed, so it just hangs.

Is there anyway to to have the applet send a NOOP signal or a PWD command? Something that would keep the channel alive and active?

import

Post by import »

Yes, try:
<PARAM NAME="param6" VALUE="commandmonitor">
<PARAM NAME="value6" VALUE="300">

It will send NOOP command every 5 minutes while uploading. Your FTP server has to support this behavior to make it works.

ichapman

Post by ichapman »

I am currently experiencing the same issue. I've tried turning off PASV mode, but that does not help. This happens with some computers, and not with others.

Unfortunately, my FTP apparently does not support the NOOP command ... when I tried it, it restarted the whole transfer from the beginning and keeps doing it everytime the command is sent.

Any other ideas? Or is there something that specific clients can do to their machine's configuration to get it to run?

support

Post by support »

How long is your large upload ? More than FTP command channel time out ? (Check your FTP configuration but it's 15 minutes usually). Do you see the file uploaded on your server ?
Also, are you using "forward" parameter ?

support

Post by support »

Upload a theme to wordpress
do you have a link about this?