relative filename under Linux (option relativefilename)

Upload core product.
import

relative filename under Linux (option relativefilename)

Post by import »

Hello!

I have a problem under Linux.
The JClient Applet won't upload a file nor a folder when the option 'relativefilename' is set to true. The applet says 'upload started' but nothing happens and the server is not contacted.

I use Firefox 2.0.0.2 under Linux. The same applet with the same params works fine in Firefox under Windows though.

When the relativefilename-option is disabled the upload works fine, but you cannot upload folders.

Another (minor) problem under Linux is, that there will be some character appended to the filename if you upload exactly one file. Uploading 2 or more files this will not happen. This could be "worked around" on serverside but fixing the applet seems to be the better idea.

The Java version on the Linux system is:
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode)

Does anyone have the same problems? Does anyone know a solution to this?
Does uploading folders under Linux+Firefox work for anybody?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

import

Re: relative filename under Linux (option relativefilename)

Post by import »

The behaviour described in my posting above applies only to uploading of folders via **Drag&Drop** under Linux.
If I click 'select files' and choose a folder this way, the upload works fine.

import

Post by import »

Is there a way to access your Linux desktop remotely from here ?

import

Post by import »

I'm afraid it's not accessible remotely. What would you like to test or check?
Perhaps I can provide a screencast.

import

Post by import »

I would like to see which mouse icon you have when you drag&drop. Is it a forbidden icon or OK ?
I think the problem comes from the clipboard and file definitions. Which window manager are you using ?

import

Post by import »

The icon is ok (no forbidden sign). It's ok in both cases, dragging a file and dragging a folder.

Dragging and dropping a *file* the applet shows "upload started" (custom message) but nothing happens.

Dragging and dropping a *folder* not even the above message will appear.

Is it possible to enable a debug-mode or look into a java console to see where the applet stops? Or to inspect the data the applet receives from the OS' drag&drop procedure?

By the way: when dragging and dropping a single file into the applet under Linux, there is a \000 appended to the filename. Maybe this is also the reason why the applet breaks dragging and dropping a folder.

I hope this will help you debugging.

Chris

import

Post by import »

Thanks for the \000 notice. It might be the problem. Could you make a test with copy/paste ? (CTRL-C/CTRL-V).

import

Post by import »

I'm trying to fix it but it might be specific to your Linux distribution because it seems to works under Suse. Anyway, do you have a link where I could find some info about the \000. Is it \u0000 (Unicode) ?

import

Post by import »

Hello again!

Thanks for the copy&paste hint, this works fine even for folders. Doing copy&paste instead of drag&drop there is no \000 appended to the file.

The Linux here is also a Suse (10.2). The \000 problem concerns drag&drop in KDE as well as using the Linux via Exceed (an X-terminal I use under windows).

Here is some info about the termination of strings in C with the \000 character as of the Linux standard C Library.
http://linuxgazette.net/issue76/rogers.html

As far as I can see it's not a \u0000 but simply a \000. That's what I see when I have the webserver print the original filename of the uploaded file.

I guess we're very close to solving the problem. :)

Thanks already for your patience and your regular replies.

Chris