SFTP download speed slow

Files and folders downloader add-on with resume support.
gorgonzilla

SFTP download speed slow

Post by gorgonzilla »

Hi,

[Update: I am using JFileUpload 2.9. I'm going to try 3.0 soon ....]

I am trying to use JFileDownload with SFTP to download large files (10MB - 10GB) from a bioinformatics sftp server. My platform is Mac OS X 10.7, using latest Java 7 in Safari or Firefox.

However, I notice that the performance is not very good. The applet consistently downloads 8-10 times slower than clients like FileZilla and Transmit. Sample times in a recent test: the applet ranged from 190-200 KB/s, whereas FileZilla and Transmit ranged from 1.5-1.7 MB/s

Is it possible to configure JFIleDownload+SFTP to be faster? I don't see any configuration parameters that would control buffer size or similar .... Is there something I could have done that would slow things down?

BTW, the server is a Globalscape EFT server. When I use Globalscape's own Java-based client, I see transfer speeds as fast as FileZilla and Transmit. Globalscape is listed as a JFileUpload customer, so my results are especially interesting.

Thanks!

gorgonzilla

Re: SFTP download speed slow

Post by gorgonzilla »

No, unfortunately, JFIleUpload 3.0 doesn't seem to be any faster.

I would like to hear from jfileupload.com or from users about their experience with applet transmission speed (especially sftp download speed) in comparison with other clients.

Consistently in many tests over several days, I see the applet (jfileupload + jfiledownload + sftp) downloading 10-20 times slower than other sftp clients, including Filezilla, Transmit, Unix sftp, and even Globalscape's EFT Web Transfer Client, which uses Java.

Anyone?

support

Re: SFTP download speed slow

Post by support »

We may have another version that should improve transfer speed. Please contact support(at)jfileupload(dot)com to get it.